11 September 2005

Hurricanes, Midnight Oil, and the GRE

My good ol' hometown of Searcy is now home to over 100 hurricane evacuees. Camp Wyldewood, just outside Searcy, is now home to over 70 of those people. My younger brother works part time at Wyldewood doing odd jobs and cleanup duties. This past week though he has been busy helping serve meals, taking people to the doctor, distributing clothing, and other things of that nature. I think it is safe to say that this whole experience will profoundly affect my 18 year old brother, maybe now at 18 it will endow him with a passion and compassion for people that will influence his religious, political, theological, and academic views for years to come. Yes, it is his job because he works at Wyldewood, but he is happy to be serving. I am very proud of my younger brother and I look up to him.

Everyone in Searcy is eager to do what they can in this situation. I work at Midnight Oil, that bastion of coffee talk and discussion for the hippy academic philosopher pseudo bohemians of Harding. My boss wanted to do something to help so today, Sunday, we opened our doors at one o'clock. Normally we are closed on Sundays, but today we were open, all of the employees worked for free and our boss is giving every dime, not just the profits, and all of our tips to Camp Wyldewood to help feed and house the evacuees. I have never worked a busier shift than the one this afternoon. The line was out the door for the whole time I was there and one woman put a five hundred dollar check in our tip jar. Once again my faith in Christians and people in general, the faith which is often very small, has been buffered and rebuilt.

I'm preparing to take the GRE soon, does anyone out there have any advice on how to study for it? Should I just treat it like all the standardized tests I took way back in high school and do nothing? I did extremely well on those, but this is of more importance to me because some scholarships to help with graduate school would be more than nice. So if anyone has any advice please share.

3 comments:

J. Cliff said...

you should study by reading a lot....try to beat that annoying lying girl...nicholas sparks my ass

Anonymous said...

i hear the vocab is really hard. sigma tau delta is holding study sessions thursdays at 6:30, i think.

Anonymous said...

SO, I'm guessing you already took the GRE. I don't know how you could study for it. To me, it was one of those things you either had a foundation built for or you didn't. I thought I had a pretty good vocabulary, but there were words on that test I'd never even seen before. Hope it went (or goes) well!